Updated: Jan 1, 2019
Bringing the power of self compassion into the New Year!
What Is a Gift To Your Future Self?
This morning I woke up and the clothes I am wearing now were set out on my chair infront of me. I grabbed them and headed to the bathroom. I took a shower and the bottle of shampoo was full... unlike the showers I was taking for weeks trying to squeeze out that last bit of shampoo that I knew was still somehow in the bottom of the container. After getting dressed (I didn’t spend the normal 15 minutes figuring out what to wear), I could feel my stomach grumbling so I went to the kitchen and a pot of oatmeal was already on the stove soaking, all I had to do was turn it on. I opened the fridge and a Tupperware filled with leftovers from the night before was there waiting for me ready to pack for my lunch today. Instead of rushing out the door I could choose how I wanted to spend an extra 20 minutes of my time. All this was possible because of several generous things I did 24 hrs before as a gift to my future self.
What would it be like for you to start your day with this kind of ease? With half the work already done for you?
What Choice Do We Have?
Unfortunately we haven’t evolved yet to be able to time travel. As much as we sometimes wish we could change how we acted in the past or get a sneak peak of the future there isn’t much we can do about it. The only thing we can do is act in the present moment. The question is how do we use the present moment?
Any action you take right now your future self will have to deal with. Giving a gift to your future self it about making a conscious choice to be kind to that future you. Try this: take a moment to pause and imagine yourself 24 hrs from now. Imagine future you is someone you love in the same kind of way you love your partner, best friend, or a family member. What are some of the things you do to express love to these people? Maybe you sometimes bring them a glass of water, make them a home cooked meal, or write them some encouragements on a sticky note? What would hit that kind of sweet spot for future you?
How to give a gift to your future self?
1) Notice something that regularly bothers you in your life.
2) Brainstorm a list of things that would make it easier if you did them in advance.
3) Select one small thing you can do that will make a difference for you.
4) Make your gift clear by making it a SMART Goal. Example: I will make myself a healthy lunch for tomorrow by 7pm tonight.
5) Think about how much your future self will appreciate you for doing this!
6) Get Support- You don’t have to do this alone. Ask a friend or family member to give you a reminder or post it on social media so it is OFFICIAL. Feel free to email me and I can be your support buddy too email@example.com.
7) Celebrate the kindness you have given yourself and doing what you said you would do. If you followed through on your gift to yourself you are a warrior of self compassion. Do a little dance, post your story on facebook, do what you do!
What are some Ideas of Gifts to Your Future Self?
Lay out your clothes for the next day before you go to bed
Refill or buy new personal care products when they are running low
Make your lunch the night before
Book tickets for anything 6 months from now and put it on your calendar
Put $50 away every month so that you have $600 at the end of year
Buy your commuter ticket before the regular rush
Take a 20 minute nap before you go to an event in the evening
I invite you to share your own ideas in the comment box below!